Hooking up Amazon Fire TV
There are several different types of Amazon Fire TV devices.
Amazon Fire TV
(1st and 2nd Gen)
The 1st & 2nd generation Fire TV devices are similar in style and hook up to your TV in the same way.
Amazon Fire TV (3rd Gen)
The newest version of the Amazon Fire TV (3rd Gen release October 25th 2017) is simplified with an attached HDMI connection.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
(4k or 1st gen with Alexa Voice Remote)
The Amazon Fire TV Stick plugs directly into the HDMI port on your TV.
Note: The oldest version of the Amazon Fire TV stick (without the Alexa Voice Remote) is not supported by EZVideo.
All of these will connect with the same basic connections.
- HDMI Port on your TV – Either connect an HDMI cable from the box to the TV, or connect the HDMI connection on the device itself to an HDMI port on your TV.
- Micro USB connection for power– The device will come with a Micro USB cable and power adapter that needs to be connected for the device to turn on. If your TV has a powered USB port you can use the Micro USB cable to connect directly to that. However, it’s recommended to connect this to a power outlet with the adapter.
**Take note of the HDMI port on your TV that you connect with this device. It may say HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc. This is the Input you need to set your TV using it’s remote. The remote that came with your TV will have an “Input” or “Source” button you can use to switch the input.**
If you need additional support information regarding your Amazon Fire TV device visit the Amazon Fire TV Support pages here.
You must have an Amazon account to initialize your Amazon Fire TV device, but you don’t need a Prime subscription. If you ordered the Amazon device yourself from your Amazon account then it actually already has your account information set up. During the set up process, you will be given the choice to use the Account that was associated with the purchase or a different account.
If your device is plugged into power it will turn on automatically, there is no power button on the device.
Here are the basic steps to set up an Amazon Fire TV device:
Note: these steps assume that you have an Amazon account. If you don’t, go to https://www.amazon.com to set up your account.
- Turn on your TV and find the input for the Amazon Fire TV device. Try cycling through the different inputs on your TV by pressing the “Input” or “Source” button until you see the Amazon Fire TV splash screen.
- Make sure to put the AAA batteries into the remote and click the play/pause button. If the Fire TV isn’t responding, hold the “Home” button down on the remote for a few seconds and then try again.
- You will see a list of available wireless networks. Choose your SSID and enter your network password. If you are connecting with an Ethernet cable you can skip this step.
- After you establish an internet connection, you’ll be prompted to enter your Amazon account information. You may get a choice to continue with the account that was used to order the device on Amazon.com. You can choose that account, or enter a different account.
- Once you’ve authenticated your Amazon account you will be shown a short tutorial video on how to use the remote, the streaming services, and mobile apps to control the Fire TV devices.