Frequently Asked Questions
  • Why is my first bill so high?

    Your first bill is pro-rated from the day your service was turned on through the end of the month, then we always bill for the following month in advance. Also included is a one time $10.00 Connection Fee & your $1.00 Membership.

  • Do you take payments over the phone?

    Yes, currently we accept VISA and MASTERCARD. To pay your bill over the phone, contact a Customer Service Representative with your card information. We also offer an Automatic Payment Option, where your payment can be deducted from your checking or savings account automatically each month.

  • What is NetProtect?

    NetProtect™ is a program that allows Pioneer to maintain the wiring in your home (Click here for more details).

  • How do I reach Directory Assistance?

    Dial ‘1,’ then the area code you’re trying to reach, then ‘555-1212’ or dial 411.

  • I get Telemarketer/Solicitation calls all the time - is there any way to stop them?

    There are a couple of fairly effective ways to stop telemarketers if the telemarketers that are calling you are playing by the rules. The easiest way is to register for the national Do-Not-Call list. This can be done on-line at www.DONOTCALL.GOV, or you can call toll-free, 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236), from the number you’d like to register. If your number appears on this list, telemarketers know not to call you. Another way is when you answer a telemarketer’s call, simply ask them to take you off of their list and indicate you do not wish to receive calls from them.

  • Who do I need to call if I'm going to be doing some digging & need the lines located?

    Damage to lines occurs frequently and generally it could have been avoided by simply making a call. Additionally, by not calling you are breaking the law and are subject to fines and repair costs. To get a cable locate before you dig, go to Oregon Utility Notification Center or call 1-800-332-2344 or 811.

  • Instead of getting charged every time I use Directory Assistance - do I have any other options?

    Yes. The best way to find out directory information in Pioneer’s serving area is to utilize the Pioneer Telephone Directory, there you will also find other useful information as well. You can also utilize the internet – a few sites include:

  • Are there any assistance programs if I have low income?

    Yes, you can call the Oregon Telephone Assistance Program (OTAP), 1-800-848-4442 (TTY 1-800-648-3458), to inquire about qualification. Click here for more information.

  • Who has the cheapest long distance?

    We are not permitted to say, however determining the cheapest long distance is based on individual calling patterns and the perceived value you receive from your long distance carrier. There are many long distance providers offering many different calling plans for domestic & international calls and we can provide you with a list of these carriers for you to contact to begin the process of setting up service. However, if you’d like the convenience of receiving only one monthly telephone bill, talk to a local Customer Service Representative who is also your neighbor, Pioneer Long Distance can handle all of your long distance needs.

  • What is a 'Cooperative'?

    An enterprise owned and operated by those who use its services.

  • What does the ADJ/OCC column mean on my statement?

    ADJ stands for Adjustments and OCC stands for Other Charges and Credits. These reflects billing changes on your bill caused by things such as a pro-ration of a charge or applying a credit to your account during the billing month.

  • I can't be home when your installer comes to do my wiring, is it okay if my son/daughter is there to let him in?

    Yes, but they need to be at least 18.

  • What are all the different charges on my bill for?

    Federal Tax: This charge is levied by the Federal Government for the use of telecommunications services. Monies collected are passed onto the Internal Revenue Service.

    Oregon Universal Service Surcharge: This charge is to ensure that basic telephone service is available in rural areas at a reasonable & affordable rate within Oregon. Monies collected are passed onto the Oregon Public Utility Commission.

    Federal Universal Service Charge: This charge is to ensure that basic telephone service is available in rural areas at a reasonable & affordable rate throughout the United States. The FCC imposes this charge on local telephone companies.

    FCC Access Charge: This charge is mandated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for access to the Public Switched Network. It is to help cover a local telephone companies fixed costs of operating & maintaining the local telephone network.

    Residential Service Protection Fund: This fee is used to provide telecommunications devices & relay services for Oregon residents with speech and/or hearing impairments. Monies collected are passed on to the Oregon Public Utilities Commission.

    E-911 State Tax: This fee is assessed on behalf of the State of Oregon, to pay for 911 emergency dispatch services, regardless of whether a household has ever made a 911 call. Monies collected are passed onto the Oregon Department of Revenue.

    For more detailed information, please visit the PUC

  • Can I have High Speed Internet & how much is it?

    High Speed Internet is available in most of Pioneer Telephone’s serving area, just give us a call or send an email and we will check to see if your line qualifies for the service. If it does, Pioneer wholesales the High Speed Internet Service to Internet Service Providers (ISP’s). At this time, Peak Internet is the only ISP that provides High Speed Internet in our serving area: Peak Internet, 541-754-7325 or toll free, 1-800-731-4871.

  • Why does it take so long to get my credit refund after I've disconnected my service?

    The disconnected account has to go through two billing cycles to make sure there’s not any outstanding long distance or collect calls, this process may take 30 – 60 days.